A programmable thermostat can keep your home comfortable while maximizing your summertime energy savings. However, unless it’s used correctly, it will not do its job. Learn how to make your Tampa-Clearwater area home more comfortable while saving money at the same time.
Use programmable thermostats properly to manage your air conditioner. Select the model that best fits your lifestyle.
- A 7-day model is excellent if your daily schedule varies greatly from day to day. It gives you the flexibility to set different programs on different days to meet your schedule.
- A 5+2 day model uses the same schedule Monday through Friday, with a different schedule for the weekend.
- A 5-1-1-model is best for those who have a regular schedule through the week, but varying schedules on Saturdays and Sundays.
Set your HVAC thermostat program based on your schedule. Each day will have four settings: wake time, daytime, evening time and sleep time.
- Wake time should be when the first person in the house gets up for the day, and at a setting that’s about 78 degrees in the summer.
- Day time begins when the last person leaves for the day. The setting should be at an energy savings level, usually 7 to 10 degrees higher than wake time.
- Evening time starts when the first person returns from work or school. The setting should be at a comfortable level (about 75 degrees in summer, more or less depending on your preference).
- Sleep time begins when the last person goes to bed usually. The setting should be set 4 degrees higher than evening time, but not as high as daytime. This saves money without heating up the house at night.
Use the thermostat wisely:
- Install the thermostat on an inner wall, away from windows and heat producing appliances.
- Use the “hold” button only when going away for the weekend or on vacation.
- Resist the urge to override the programmed settings, unless someone is in the home at an unusual time.
If you want to learn more about programmable thermostats, contact us here at Cox Air Conditioning & Heating. We are your Clearwater and Tampa area home comfort specialists.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com