5 Warning Signs That You Need to Replace Your Furnace
It thumps and bumps, it needs repairs and it’s costing a fortune to keep it running. Your furnace has a certain lifespan and ignoring the warning signs can lead you to an expensive emergency replacement. But how do you know what those warning signs and what they mean? Here are five signs to pay attention to:
5 Warning Signs Your Furnace Needs Replacement
- Your energy bills are increasing in usage. Though your energy rates may go up and down with the market and winters may be more mild or cold, your usage shouldn’t change drastically during an average winter. If the amount of energy used by your system goes up drastically, it means your system isn’t working as efficiently and is heading towards failure.
- The furnace system is more than 10-15 years old. Most systems are designed to last about this long, so if your system is older than that, it’s probably about time for a replacement.
- System repairs are becoming more frequent. As systems age, the mechanical parts begin to fail and require replacement. Though there is a certain amount of this happening during the lifetime of the furnace, when your repair bills start to go up significantly, it’s time to start furnace shopping.
- You’re constantly adjusting the thermostat. Like Goldilocks and the three bears, it seems as though one room is too hot and the next is too cold. Another symptom of a failing furnace system is when it loses the ability to keep regular temperatures in your home. As the system fails, it either has a harder time getting the warmed air where it needs to go in your home or isn’t communicating properly with your thermostat.
- Your furnace is making unusual noises. Bangs, rattles, squeals and whines are all noises you should be concerned about when the furnace makes them, but any unusual noise should receive prompt attention. Ignoring these noises means your system may fail quickly, so even if you don’t have the cash to completely replace it, get it repaired as quickly as possible.
By paying attention to these warning signs, you can better plan your furnace replacement. At Cox Air, we’re happy to repair your existing system to buy a little more time or we’ll help you find the perfect replacement furnace for your home. Please contact us today to talk to one of our experienced associates for more information.