With summer wrapping up and fall coming close behind, have you worked through your home maintenance tasks for the change of seasons? Here’s a list of common home maintenance tasks for the end of summer.
Home Maintenance Tasks
- Clean and repair any damage to your deck, patio or pool before the dry weather is over. Because we tend to get more rain in the fall, you’ll want to get these areas taken care of before storms roll in and make the problem worse.
- Remove any plants growing in cracks in your driveway, then fill and seal the cracks. If you leave the cracks over the winter, they’ll probably grow worse by spring, requiring more extensive repairs.
- Replace your HVAC system’s air filter. To keep your system operating at peak efficiency, air must be able to travel freely through it. Replace your clogged HVAC system air filter to help keep your system running properly.
- Deep clean damp areas in your home, including the bathrooms, kitchen, drains and garbage cans. Mold and mildew grow well during the summer months, so do a deep cleaning to keep these problems at bay during the damp season coming up.
- Clean out your gutters. It’s easier to do while the weather is nice than when it’s cold or the ground is soft under the ladder. Gutters move water away from your home to keep it more comfortable, but they can’t work if they’re clogged up.
- Trim back overgrown trellis vines or bushes. This gives them a chance to recover before going into more dormant states over the winter without opening the plants up to damage when they’re growing strongly.
- Have your heating system inspected by a professional to make sure it will work when you need it later in the season.
- Check your insulation and home weatherization products for leaky spots and repair them. By keeping your home’s weatherization and insulation in line, you can enjoy a more comfortable home.
If you haven’t had a chance to work through some of the tasks on your list because of time constraints or not being comfortable undertaking some tasks, that’s okay. At Cox Air Conditioning and Heating, we provide a variety of planned maintenance services to help keep your HVAC system working at peak efficiency. Please contact us today with questions or to schedule an appointment with one of our highly-trained service technicians.