Air ducts are susceptible to harboring contaminants, such as mold and mildew, dirt, pollen, pet dander and other debris, that are not captured by the air filter. If it has been more than a few years since the duct system in your Tampa area home has been inspected, it may be time for a good duct cleaning to protect your family, as well as your home’s HVAC equipment, furniture and other physical items.
Benefits of Clean Ducts
To gain full benefit of cleaning the air ducts and other HVAC components, and to minimize the risk of spreading contaminants to the living spaces, duct cleaning should only be performed by a reputable HVAC company with the know-how, tools and experience to do the job right. These are the benefits:
- Household occupants can breathe easier as potentially harmful contaminants and debris are removed.
- Cooling and heating components are cleaned, such as the heat-exchange coil, which improves performance and energy efficiency.
- Deficiencies in the duct system are revealed, providing an opportunity for repair (and saving even more energy).
- Home structure and possessions are at less risk of damage from mold, mildew and other contaminants.
Duct Cleaning Done Right
These are the basic duct cleaning steps to expect:
- Cleaning is performed during working hours or planned time away.
- Specialized equipment is used for cleaning the ducts, such as a HEPA filtration vacuum system.
- Air supply and air return grilles are properly covered to isolate debris inside ductwork.
- The ducts are inspected visually and perhaps with cameras (inaccessible ducts).
- Proper sealing is required if ducts are cut for access.
- Damaged or wet insulation (interior and exterior) is replaced.
- All vacuumed debris is captured and contained, or exhausted outside the home.
- All cooling and heating components are cleaned, which is another good reason to hire an HVAC specialist.
- Multiple air exchanges are cycled before permitting re-entry to the home.
- Tip: Make sure furniture is moved out of the way of air supply and air return grilles. If you have household pets, don’t forget to make arrangements for their day away from home, too.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com